This is one of my newer planting sites. I’ve weeded it over a couple of times, collected rubbish and planted some things here to see what could make it. Then this grille appeared and there was a flood. So there were just a couple of plants left.
I started out by weeding and collecting more broken glass. I’d just been to a workshop on weeds and their uses, and so I took it to be interesting that this place has pink flowering fumitory rather than the more common (but not so medicinal, evidently) white flowering fumitory. Noted. I continue to find it funny that when I was still in school in the early eighties I would read Mrs Grieve’s (English) Herbal and wish all these amazing plants might be growing anywhere I would ever meet the. Well, dear reader, many of them do, but it took me a long time to realise that they were weeds!
In the clean up I found more intriguing rusty stuff (on the left–I realise my trowel has seen a lot of use!)
So out came weeds and in went plants.
Even more saltbush and sea fig on the upper parts pf the site…
And into the banks where so much water had so recently passed, I put some of the Ngarrindjeri weaving rushes that have grown up quietly since the weaving workshop. If there is a year they might make it, this year of flooding rains might be the one.
A portrait of the gardener…
And time to head home.