This time, I am taking Andrea’s advice to the extent I can. I have the common stinging nettle, urtica dioica, and no other nettles to choose from, so that is what I am using. There is no chance of my accessing large amounts of nettles as tall as 1.2 m, but a few of my sample are that tall. I am harvesting at the end of winter, the plants have flowered and had a lot of green seed on them–I thought I had left them too long but perhaps not. It is hard to fully understand how the seasons here affect plants native to Europe, but nettles don’t grow here when it is warm. They are more likely to lose leaves as the warm weather sets in, than to lose them in autumn. This means that I am harvesting nettles at pretty much the opposite point in the seasons that a person in Europe might.
So. The nettles were harvested on 24 August, and set to rett that morning. I changed the water twice on 25 August to prevent fermentation (and the chilly weather will have helped that too) and had an interesting conversation with a seller at the farmers’ market who had harvested his nettles and had them for sale. 5 days later, I decided they were about right. They had begun to smell somewhat, and the evidence that the outer layer had begun to rot away was clear (as opposed to the murky water).
The surface green layer of the stem rubbed away readily.
Once I had thoroughly rinsed them, most of the green covering of the stem was gone. I am offering these photos in hopes that others more knowledgeable might offer me their advice. The works I have consulted make it seem to me that identifying when retting has gone far enough but not too far is difficult to describe. No doubt it is an expert skill (which needless to say, I don’t possess), and perhaps one of those not readily converted into words–like how to tell the level of kneading is perfect for bread dough by feel, or how to tell a fermentation indigo vat is ready to use from the way it smells.
I set them to dry thoroughly. At this stage I belatedly had the thought that perhaps next time I should stage the removal of stems from the retting process, and see if I can identify which stage gives me a better outcome. Too late to do such a logical experiment with this batch! To be continued….