Last year, I managed (with a little help from cossack design) to acquire some milky merino knit fabric. I have been thinking that if I want to make all my own clothing I will need to learn how to make turtle neck, knit, long sleeved tops for winter and T shirts for summer (though perhaps it will be years before I wear out my current collection of T shirts–and people keep giving them to me)! I decided to try a pattern I bought some time ago. Then I managed to trace a pattern from a garment I already have and like to wear and cut one of those from the length of fabric I had as well.
I was feeling positively gleeful about the potential for two garments to emerge from this experiment. Many other dyers–see examples here, here and here have had beautiful results dyeing this fabric.
I’m delighted with these results.
I also dyed the little samples that came in the pack, neatly enclosed in my soup ball:
This thread has since been applied to a ‘beloved tree’ banner.
That was all very well. I sewed my garment together, only to discover that I had succeeded in shrinking the fabric… and more in one direction than the other. In the end, I gave the garment to a smaller friend and she adjusted it to fit her. She looks wonderful in it! Now I am building up my nerve to sew the second turtleneck together and see who that will fit!