The harvest is continuing round our place. One friend dropped a bag of figs and grapes on the front doorstep. I took a bag of plums over to hers on a run!
Then I went to visit another friend who is house-bound after surgery, taking a care pack of salads and mains. She asked me to deal with her nectarine tree. It was so heavily laden! I collected a huge bucket of fallen spoiled fruit (things such as this are known at our house as ‘chicken happiness’). Then I picked fruit for my friend and another visitor, and then two more buckets. Then I cleared fruit out of her neighbour’s gutter! The tree was still covered in unripe fruit.
I shared nectarines with two other households and then put our share in jars, since we have a young nectarine tree which is bearing enough to keep us in fresh fruit. Oh, and there were more plums. Just one jar this time.
There was also a handover of a HUGE bag of frozen hibiscus flowers from a dedicated friend, bless her heart! They had to wait a couple of days, and then I decided it was time to use the only dependable looking big jar I had for them. I wasn’t sure they would all fit, but in the end, with defrosting and squeezing … they did.
In went fermented citrus peel water and aluminium foil water (thank you to India Flint for yet another ingenious use of kitchen discards that are neither worm happiness nor chicken happiness)… fabric, threads, and so on… (last week’s batch are here for size comparison).
I filled another, smaller jar with kino from an E Sideroxylon I had been saving, and another (slightly less) large jar, albeit with a rusty lid which might not seal, with my mother’s dried coreopsis flowers. That was all the dye pot would take for processing.
Three more for the pantry shelf. It is so interesting to see such a deep green already developing in the hibiscus flower jar…