I have been travelling for work… and then my oldest friend invited me to his birthday… so I have been extending my carbon footprint by going to Perth for work, then to my friend’s birthday on my way home (for those who don’t know, Sydney is not on the way home to Adelaide, when you start out in Perth).
Anyway… in the hurry to leave home I managed to remember to pack travel knitting. I started out with a sock in progress. Eucalyptus dyed patonyle, destined for the feet of my Blue Mountains friends. The weather where they live calls for handknit socks.
These colours are the result of overdyes, where I didn’t like the initial colour and decided to try again. By the time I left for Perth, I had one sock knit and another underway and caused quite a bit of fascination among the project team by knitting in breaks and grafting a toe over lunch.
I had overdyed the rest of my patonyle more recently. It started out dyed with black beans (not as colourfast as I’d like) and plum pine (not at all colourfast).
These yarns went into my first attempt at the Michel Garcia organic indigo vat. I had reservations about my vat as I went… the Ph test strips I had bought turned out not to measure the part of the Ph spectrum I needed and in the end I ran out of time and should have left the vat to the next day. On the up side, the preparation of the vat all made sense and most of it went really well. I think my judgment about it was basically right, I just didn’t go with my judgment as I should have done. My friend dyed a doily:
I re-dyed the sock yarn, originally bought second hand at a garage sale.
Although I was happy with the finished colours, it turned out that I had hurried the indigo too much and I was left with crocking… the blue rubbed of on my hands a lot as I was knitting in Perth. This made it certain the finished socks would leave the wearer with blue feet and I finally decided to abandon them after a few centimetres, frogged and left the yarn in a bin in Perth. Sigh! That must be the fiirst dyeing fail I have pronounced irretrievable.
I had an alternative plan. I pulled out yarn I intended for a hat and chose one of the two patterns in my bag, Jared Flood’s Turn a Square. I wound the ball in my motel room and cast on. Here it is as I wait for the taxi to the airport in Perth.
The time difference between Western Australia (Perth) and the rest of the country is considerable, so even though the flight was four and a half hours, I left Perth at 10 am and arrived in Sydney at 5 pm, and here is the hat in the Sydney airport:
Here it is in Sydney about to depart for Adelaide next day…
I finished it on the way and started a second hat with the rest of the skein, top down. I’d call that a productive trip on many fronts!