I am determined to learn to use Michel Garcia’s fructose indigo vat rather than the very simple but clearly toxic and stinky hydrosulphite vat. I am also on a mission to create handspun, plant dyed yarns for colourwork, and I have a pattern in mind which requires some greens. Also a plan about sock yarn in which this previously undyed, now (osage orange yellow) skein of BFL/silk becomes a variegated green.
I prepared the vat and waited for a bronze sheen and yellow-green liquid below as signs reduction (the removal of oxygen from the vat) had been achieved. I have a Ph meter to ensure the Ph is within range.
I had success with reducing the vat but a lot of difficulty in getting the Ph into a range suitable for wool. In the end, I decided to make the most of it and dipped my ugly cotton bags several times.
In all I dipped them three times and they are now an old denim colour which is a decided improvement.
Once I had managed the Ph, next came fleece from Viola, previously dyed in coreopsis or osage orange.
Finally, in went the gloriously yellow sock yarn. That yellow was so awesome I was tempted to leave it as it stood. But I was looking for yellows and various shades of green, and here they are, ready for the next stage of my cunning plan….