There has been less mending this winter because after the attack of the m*ths last year, stringent measures have been taken round here. M*th proof storage and pheromone sticky traps, and a cleaning programme that gets into the corners. This is the first mend I’ve needed to make to a woollen undergarment this season, and this garment is years old and has seen a lot of wear. It’s underwear, so I decided to trial an external patch, as well as an internal patch. The internal patch was almost invisible from the outside. Here’s the outside view of the external patch:
Silkymerino eucalyptus-print patch sewn on with eucalyptus dyed silk thread… and here is the inside–interior patch on the left and exterior patch on the right.
I also have a favourite T shirt. It’s a fine bamboo shirt with a design by the wonderful Nikki McClure. It has worn some small holes in front. In the region of the belly button (or perhaps the belt buckle), to be exact! Hence the trial of internal and external patching. Conclusion: a feature external patch in this location… will not be flattering when the garment is on, though it could look great if it wasn’t actually on me! The patched place is at the centre bottom of this image, looking slightly puckered.
Here is the inside view–silkymerino stitched with madder dyed cotton/silk thread. The little holes show red and so do all the tiny stitches… so there is a little speckled area on the front of the shirt. In the spirit of the visible mending programme, this patch is visible… but not too visible! And I personally will enjoy the internal view.
And… some rough and ready patching on my gardening jeans has also been needed. The second knee finally gave way.
And when I went to mend the knee, one of the back pockets pulled away from the seat. Better than this happening while I’m out on the street! I decided against anything fancy because there isn’t much left in the way of strong fabric in these jeans any more–the hem has worn right through, the belt loops are pulling away from the waistband, and the next pair in the queue are more than ready for a permanent move to gardening wear. In the meantime, some reinforcement on the inside and some machine darning over the most threadbare section will keep them going awhile longer…