Some months ago I had an idea. I thought I would embroider my gardening shirt, or one of them. Once I had the idea, I couldn’t let it go.
I had my beloved’s gift of Japanese indigo dyed thread and it felt so perfect for the job…
But when I spoke with a friend about it she gently suggested that investing so much time and effort in something on the verge of falling apart might not be wise use. She is a wise woman and gentleness is her way.
I began thinking of the fabrics I already had, offcuts of linen, canvas and stout cottons. It occurred to me that I had a Merchant and Mills pattern (The Top #64) that struck me as pieced, and that called for quite stout fabrics. I thought over a kind comment here on the blog about using more than one type of fabric as a potential feature rather than a problem (thankyou!). I started dyeing more fabric.
And so two sets of offcuts from different generous friends found their way into various dyepots.
I found that I didn’t have pieces big enough for the pattern pieces anyway–even with front and back each being made up of 4 different pieces of fabric, some parts of this garment were still pieced together from smaller segments.
And now, here it is. Embroidered with dye plants of the neighbourhood and the names of plants I have been propagating and planting.
And a few other phrases of note. There may be more yet to come! And now you know how I came by so many scraps that I needed to Make patchwork as I went…