On a cool, autumn morning I set out with yet more ruby saltbush plants and water to help them settle in.
Some went in here replacing those who didn’t make it through the summer.
The truly surprising thing is that many did make it through summer. Some have held on with the tiniest of plant toenails. But others have grown a good deal. Even one boobialla (myoporum) made it in this inhospitable spot!
Here are some of the many survivors.
I also planted some more on the border of this space, which was bare earth when I started in on it. It is so settled now I am considering putting some trees in quietly, among the ground covers and shrubs.
After that, I headed off with secateurs to start some cuttings. These plants are thriving in local public plantings and they are regularly trimmed off the street by council workers or passing cars. So I took cuttings from the street side and went home to put them in! Fingers crossed for spring planting…