Now that everything is clean and dry, I thought I might show some outcome pictures. First there was a linen gauze scarf. I am hoping it might offer some portable sun protection for my neck over summer. Later there was some clamp action.
These are handkerchiefs I made some time back from a buttery yellow sheet that passed beyond being able to be used on a bed. I simply did not prepare for woad success and expected far less colour. Then I remembered that I had intended to stitch and ye them with indigo…
I do like the way they turned out! I am still figuring out whether multiple dips actually does give me deeper colour. If I am at the start of something and not having a – success experience with woad, I will experiment so I can make comparisons. So far I have not been convinced that multiple dips gives deeper colour. I am not sure whether my perception is incorrect, I have skipped a vital step, or I have prepared some of my vats in a way that means colour gets stripped out and re-deposited, which is how it seems to me. It will be simple enough to run a test and figure out whether it’s my own eye and mind. My technique will surely improve if I keep going.
And finally, as the Ph of the vats dropped into the zone more suitable for wool and there was still colour, in went grey merino locks. LOTS of woad dyed wool! So there is woad spinning yet to come. Happiness!