This post is part of the Tuff Socks Naturally project, an open, collaborative project exploring more sustainable alternatives to superwash and nylon in sock yarn. You can join in on the discussion on this blog or on the blog of the fabulous Rebecca at Needle and Spindle or on instagram using the hashtag #tuffsocksnaturally.
These socks may look a little familiar. L: cast on at a train station; R: cast on, on a train, backdrop of my new jeans–post soon about making them! I had part of a hank of commercial merino/silk yarn and the first part went on an earlier set of Frankensocks. This time I weighed out and divided the remainder with a view to knitting it all into sock legs and then added handspun Suffolk feet also dyed in eucalyptus, to a stunning shade of orange that can only mean I had cleaned my dye pot assiduously (I refer to washing soda and boiling water).
Grafting a toe any minute, on a different train. These socks felt like they went on forever, because I’ve had an illness that went on and on, and darlings–I didn’t feel up to knitting! There is no point saying this at work, but seriously–no counting, no cabling and mostly just no knitting. And, they are quite large as socks go.
The legs are long, so I went with calf shaping. Women have calf muscles, my friends!
I began the reinforcing stitch for the heel toward the bottom of the leg.
The foot is decidedly rugged by comparison with the leg (and I do enjoy the variegation in the dye). And there you have them, in all their glory. This morning they went to the post office and on to their new home!