While I had shingles earlier in the year I spent a lot of time doing very little, sitting in front of the TV for hours at a time too unwell to do much. There were weeks when it was hard to choose what to watch and I couldn’t knit. Subtitles were too much. I had so much trouble planning that I didn’t see one kind friend who offered because I couldn’t imagine being able to do any of the things we usually do together (or something!). But eventually I remembered I had sashiko samplers I had bought in Japan, and I turned out to be capable of following the dotted line.
I also braided my sashiko threads with some kind (online) help from India Flint.
It’s quite inexpert sashiko but I found it very satisfying and spent hours and hours stitching this way without having to plan or decide on colours or anything. Eventually I realised that I had bought two cushion cover blanks, not just random samplers. So I decided I may as well turn them into cushions. The op shop provided as always:
(Eeek! Not my thing)–covers stripped off and contents washed, I have two cushion stuffers without any new plastic being created. Polyester fibrefill is not good stuff–and this is my current solution to having more of it come into existence on my account. I’ve given up making cushions stuffed with fabric scraps as I did in the past because it just couldn’t be plainer that there are industrial scale amounts of this material already in existence and headed for landfill. This is a small diversion. And yes, wash them in their covers or in a guppyfriend if you have one or in a bag to keep plastic waste out of the sewerage system.
A little bit of simple stitching and–