There has been a casualty at our place. A lovely, fine, cotton fitted sheet. It wore through into holes! This is my favourite set of sheets, sadly. A lovely buttery yellow and a beautiful fabric, bought for a remarkably low price when orphaned in a shop. I didn’t want to relegate it to a dropsheet (something that protects the floor when you are painting).
So, now that I have made friends with my roll hemming foot, I decided to practice, and made 45 cm square napkins and handkerchieves. They look good. Not perfect, but good!
Several made it into a bucket of milk and then a dye pot. They are not quite what I had hoped for, but they are fine. Clearly this cotton was harder to wet than some, and the milk mordant streaked along the lines where they fell into folds as they hung to dry. That has left some really interesting patterns on the fabric.
I am wondering whether to leave the remainder plain or action my original idea–an indigo dye pot in the heat of summer and some shibori style stitch resist decoration. At the moment that feels like more than I can manage. In the meantime, I found some fine vintage looking lawn from an op shop in the cupboard during a recent (cough!) spate of bag making and decided it was not appropriate for a bag but was perfect for more handkerchieves. Evidently I am on the verge of becoming an evangelist of the hanky. Brace yourselves!