…there has been some bad news. First the evidence that the poisoner had come through mounted. Then, concrete pipes were delivered to the neighbourhood (which is a good thing–they are intended to improve drainage and prevent flooding) and placed on top of quite a few plants. Then the workers who installed the pipes drove their car up onto more plants, killing quite a few. Then they took out an entire bank of saltbush that were a really good size when they installed the pipes. And as I assessed the damage I realised that someone had come through and pulled out all of the wallaby grass. I am sure it was done in error. They didn’t realise it was wallaby grass and no doubt wondered why the poisoner had left it untouched. So anyway. I planted these this morning.
The neighbour whose place is next to the new pipe and I had a chat about how unnecessary all the damage was, but agreed we could fix it in time. Otherwise it has been a week of weeding the neighbourhood (I have no idea how the poisoner’s route is determined–but mercifully, it isn’t complete coverage). As I was headed over to tend to my friends’ chickens, I spent an hour nearby grubbing out this awful invasive grass. I had spent all spring pulling it every time I passed, but it’s called ‘invasive’ for a reason.
On the way home, I collected rubbish. May as well.
I planted this rather lovely specimen only last summer, and now it is looking very much at home. And, now there is less rubbish and less invasive grass in the neighbourhood. I can feel good about that.